Thursday, June 25, 2009

numbers and things

A lot of cool presentations today. The best bits...

VIDEO EDITING
A woman who works on the web video side of publishing gave a presentation. I asked a question about whether they hire videographers especially or if they train assistants, and she said they hire the people who do the videotaping, but they have to outsource for editing. Then she said to the class "If anybody knows Final Cut Pro, come talk to me." Ding ding ding. So after the lecture, I went up to her and told her I've done a lot of editing and can work in four different programs. She gave me her card and told me to send her samples. I think she's looking more for a pool of freelancers than one person who's paid regularly, but we'll see what happens.

NUMBERS
We had a few lectures on financial stuff like P&Ls. Even English majors have to know numbers.

AUTHOR WEBSITES
We had a presentation from a company that gets hired by authors and publishers to make author websites. That's really cool. Maybe I should apply for something like that.

They mentioned an author named Wade Rouse, who wrote a book about how he tried to become the contemporary Henry David Thoreau. You know I'm going to look into that.

COMING UP
Tonight--Lindsey and Luke arrive! This is exciting because it will bring this foreign situation into my comfort zone. We are going to do fun things! And hopefully not spend too much money, but I've been trying not to spend much this week, because I'm sure I'll be eating out a lot this week.

Tomorrow--tour of Barnes and Noble bookstore before it opens, plus scavenger hunt with prizes.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I told Lindsey and Luke to call me when they got there!