Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Guitar Guy

I met Loudon Wainwright III tonight! He put on a really great show. He has a lot of witty lyrics, causing the audience to laugh a lot. One of his recent songs is about a lady at the airport who dropped his guitar and broke it. He said he just got the guitar back from the shop today. This song's so new, the glue's still wet, he said. It was hilarious. So was his song about what Heaven is going to be like.

The openers were members of his family, so they called it the Wainwright Palooza. Lucy, his daughter, has a really good voice. So does his sister, Sloan, but it's more of a bellow-y type voice. Loudon was very...Loudon. I listen to more folk music that I usually am willing to admit. The soundtrack he did to 28 Days is fantastic. He's in that movie, too, as a character called "Guitar Guy." (He's in Big Fish, too. And he's most famous for the theme song to M*A*S*H*).

He kept yelling at us for being cheap because it's a free concert. At one point, he was trying too hard to get in tune, and then said, "You're not all from Juliard. You won't know the difference. Close enough. Close enough for folk. This is a free concert, anyway." He said he was going to lock us all into the park (Madison Square Park) until we bought CDs. It must have worked because he sold out. I stood around the CD tent for a while after the show, but I didn't know where he was. Then the ladies next to me saw that he was standing behind a fence by the stage, so I followed them over where I got to meet him and get his autograph. He was really friendly and was impressed that I have a "real camera" because everyone else had a camera phone.


found on youtube...

2 comments:

JKL said...

John and I loved this video...how fun that you got to see him and then have your picture taken too. I think you're having too much fun in the Big Apple! You're still in school, yes?

J Leigh said...

Ha, ha. Yes, still in school!

--Jaime