Monday, June 08, 2009

Inspiring

Today was inspiring.




CLASS

We learned about new ways to get magazine subscriptions.

We learned a lot about ePaper and eInk and eReaders. They're pretty awesome, but I don't know whether I'd like actually using them or not. The best part is that they do not transmit light like a computer screen. Also, they only need energy to change pages, not to hold a page because they are not producing any light. And they'll be out in color in no time.

We also had a lecture on online video, which is my favorite topic. I think it's going to change television, and I asked him about it. He didn't seem to think online video replacing traditional tv is a bad thing from a producer's POV because as long as people keep buying it, who cares what device it's on. Actually, one of my book pitches was a book about how online video is changing our media and culture. Clearly, high quality television can be made without needing to be broadcast. Just look at ChannelFlip.

We also learned about digital magazines, which I've read before because they had a Health101 one at school. That would be so cool to have that as a job, making digital, interactive magazines. It's practically my ideal medium because it's writing and it's layout and it's video. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out zinio.com.

WORKSHOP

We each critiqued a poorly structured article that got published and turned it in a few weeks ago. The woman leading the workshop critiqued all of our critiques. She had good things to say about my editing skills. That made me happy. We got some insight to writer-editor relationships in the magazine world.


OUR MAGAZINE

Our magazine idea keeps changing. Now we're a travel magazine, which is funny because I'd only ever want to work for an entertainment or travel magazine. We don't have a name anymore. First it was Forum, then Glimpse. I don't know what it will be tomorrow.


LINKS

TODAY'S LINKS
zinio.com
maghound.com
goreadgreen.com
bosacks.com

OTHER LINKS
hopstop.com
linkedin.com
tynt.com
digg.com
stumbleupon.com
ed2010.com
bzzagent
lynda.com
mediabistro.com
publishersmarketplace.com


WEBSITE

If you looked at my website between 7:30am and 7:30pm today, you probably saw a version that didn't load correctly. I don't know why it's having issues. I think it should be working now. Also, if you're on a MAC, please tell me how it looks because I was on a MAC today and it looked ridiculous! Is this why FrontPage supposedly sucks? jleighnelson.com


I'm listening to the Jaywalker CD, which is, on its own, one of my favorite albums anyway, but I realize now that all the songs are about New York.

No comments: