Saturday, July 11, 2009

Torchwood season 3


I watched the entire "Children of Earth" special of Torchwood. Wow. I won't give it away. They defintely didn't cop out on revealing new backstories and plot twists. It was dark. I mean, Torchwood is dark, but this was a little darker. In fact, everything was okay until part 5. Then they might have gone a little over the edge.

I always wondered if they're making Jack too much like the Doctor--someone who everyone looks up to and is swept away by, someone with a dark past who is doing good now. But the Doctor's more of a moral compass. Jack's definitely not. I don't think you're supposed to model your values after Jack's. Torchwood definitely gets into the complexities of life. Who's the bad guy in this episode? Really? There are so many characters that you get to see so well. Everyone is a bad guy in relation to everyone else. It's very omniscient.

I went to a panel on Torchwood last year and they talked about some trends Russel T Davies has, like how all the companions have the same sort of moms, how there's no happy same-race minority couples. Something I noticed from this season is how politicians are depicted. Look at Doctor Who's Boom Town and The Sound of Drums and this season of Torchwood. Also, it seems all the prime ministers are awful. Harriet Jones became a problem, Harold Saxon obviously, and now this sleezy guy. Davies likes to show the change-over of office.

Peter Capaldi plays one of the main characters, Frobisher. I didn't realize I'd seen him as the Angel Islington in Neverwhere. But he was a really good actor in Torchwood. I thought his character was well-written too because you can't have all heroes--you need to have some cowards, and then the question is whether or not he'll become a hero. You just keep yelling at the screen "Stand up to him! Say something!"

Are they doing another season? It would have to be very retooled. I don't know if they want to push their luck because each season's probably been better than the last, but I don't know if they'll survive four. Not that I don't want to see more. Jack's story definitely needs to be revealed more, and he has so much space to grow.





No comments: