Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Crazy Day

BIG CHANGES

We had an alumni panel come in today. Their number one advice is STAY IN NEW YORK. Let's face it--if you leave, how will you come back? It's not a good idea to rent an apartment without seeing it first and no one's going to hire you if you have an out of state address.

It took them an average of four months to land their full-time publishing jobs. There's no way I'll find one in the four weeks I have left. So. Looks like I'm going to try to find an apartment BEFORE I find a job. Which means I just might stay here in New York quite a while longer. Mixed feelings about this, but career-wise, probably the right thing to do.


CAREER ADVICE

A bunch of people gave us good advice on getting jobs. All that resume and interview stuff, but also how to pitch ourselves and network with people. We should be able to sell ourselves in 7 seconds, which will probably happen on Friday at the career fair when there are 27 companies and 101 students. I need one snappy, unique thing about me that will make me different from everybody else. Any suggestions?


OUR PROJECT

Asterisk launches tomorrow! We worked so long today that they actually turned out the lights because they thought everyone had left. And we got to the point where we couldn't work anymore because we just started laughing and arguing about dumb stuff like whether we should use Times New Roman or Georgia fonts. Unfortunately, we worked so long, the computer lab closed, so we'll have to sneak out during other presentations tomorrow to print our project! English majors are procrastinators, it must be said.


IN THE MEDIA

Can I retweet things on my blog? On Twitter there's this thing called RT or retweet where you repeat things that people you follow said so that people who follow you can see them. I have quite a lot of followers on Twitter now, which is suprising considering I don't tweet anything. But I will relay some interesting ones here:

1. Thoreau's Legacy (from Penguin Books). I'm glad he didn't get to see what we did to this little green-blue planet. “Thank God men haven’t learned to fly. They’d lay waste to the sky as well as the earth -- chop down the clouds!” --HDT

2. Teaser trailer for Cemetery Junction, written and directed by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

3. They Might Be Giants are doing a $3 concert at Prospect Park this week. Hmmm...

1 comment:

Nicole said...

$3 for a concert?! Do it!

So good talking to you tonight. We'll have to chat again soon. :)