Monday, July 06, 2009

Surprises filling my inbox

I woke up to 14 messages in my inbox and when I got home, there were 18 more. Some of them were a little more than "so and so posted a comment on your photo."

1. My friends Rachael and Terrance are getting married!!!!!! *happydance*

2. The publishing house that I interned at last summer is going away and a new house is rising in its ashes. I read this in Publishers Lunch, which is the publishing newsletter everyone in the industry reads. Here's what Ben has to say on the subject:





In other news, as I try to narrow down my focus of what I want to do in the inudstry, it seems my interests are actually expanding. We learned a lot about copy-editing today, which I guess is what I thought editors do a lot of (and it turns out they don't), so I could totally see myself doing that--actually working with the TEXT. But then we learned about sub rights. She said there's a couple things you need to have to do sub rights: You have to love reading, you have to like to travel, and have a passion for learning about other cultures. Hey, that's me! I want to travel around the world and tell people about books.

Then we had a meeting with a guy from Scholastic about our imprint. He basically told us to break all the rules and do whatever we want. I think it inspired us to go a little crazy with our project in thinking outside the box.

And I'm going to Philadelphia for the weekend of the 17th.

No comments: