Sunday, April 11, 2010

Remembering to be Awesome

Okay, let's first get this out of the way: I just met John Green and David Levithan.



Book Club

For Symphony Space's Book Club, John Green and David Levithan (who co-wrote the recent book Will Grayson, Will Grayson) did a workshop it uptown Manhattan today.
I don't know much about David because I haven't read Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, etc., but I have read all of John's novels and watch his vlogs religiously.
I knew it was going to be a little weird b/c they write YA fiction so most of the fans are high school students, but there were a lot of parents there too.

First, John and David came on stage and each read a section of the new book (they wrote alternating chapters). This was followed by a discussion about the book between them. Then they gave us a writing challenge to write a scene where two people with the same name meet.
Then people read their scenes into the mic. Then there was a Q and A. And finally a book signing.

It is interesting to think about meeting someone w/ the same name because you can see a little piece of yourself in someone so different, which is what I think the book is about.

My favorite moment was when John mentioned that he has a 10 week old son, and people started clapping. John said, "I didn't really do much. Congratulate my wife next time you see her." To which someone shouted "We never see your wife!" This is an injoke because everyone, including John, calls his wife the Yetti b/c she never shows up on camera (she's not in the vlogs). Ah it's good to be in the incrowd.

Afterward, I stood in line for close to 45 minutes to get my book signed. We were all bummed we couldn't take photos with them. Aw. But I told John that in college they used his vlogs as course material (in adolescent lit we watched them to learn how to engage your students in books). He said "Really? What college?" And I said "Well, University of WI La Crosee." And he laughed and said "Hey, that's a legitimate college!"
My autograph. (DFTBA = Don't forget to be awesome)

Here's a video of John reading from Will Grayson, Will Grayson:



Writers Group



I just joined a writers group. It's really cool and laid back. We had 21 people show up this time. It changes location, day of the week, and time every week so there's always an opportunity to show up even if you can't make it every week. We sit and write for an hour, take turns reading if you want, and offer a little feedback. I hope to get some serious critiques at some point though. Check out the awesome photo above. I'm in green on the left.

-
-

No comments: