Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Doctor Who Launch Party

I just got back from the Official US Doctor Who Season 5 Launch Party. I wasn't planning on going, but my boss let me take a half day today and half tomorrow, so I figured why not. I like Doctor who and it's free. The only thing is it meant sitting in line outside for 5 and a half hours because it's free and on a first come first serve basis. So I got there at 1:30 and was about 108th in line. Eventually I was like 200th in line because people naturally let their friends in by them as the day goes on, which I expected. There were only 370 seats and about a 1000 people, so a lot of people got turned away. I did make friends in line though, which is cool.
picture: interviewer, Matt in Baker scarf, Karen, Steven

The event itself was just under 2 hours. First we watched the season premier, which is actually a good episode for once. Usually the first episode of the season sucks, but Steven Moffat is the new head writer this season (instead of RTD) so things will be different (Moffat wrote Blink, Silence in the Library, Girl in the Fireplace, and basically all the good episodes). I did get a very Girl in the Fireplace feel from the beginning of the episode, actually.

Everyone seemed very supportive of Matt Smith as the new doctor. He had big boots to fill, but people seem to agree that he's filled them well. There was a question and answer with Matt Smith (the new Doctor), Karen Gillan (the new companion), and Steven Moffat. First an interviewer asked them some questions and it got a little awkward at one point when she asked prying questions like "What is the relationship between the Doctor and Amy going to bud into" and Moffat said "Why don't you watch the show and find out?"

The audience Q&A was pretty good. They let kids ask questions which was cute. They're better at it than the adults. One guy seriously asked Gillan on a date to the sushi restaurant down the street afterward. And another person asked would Moffat please write in where the chameleon circuit gets fixed (which means no more blue box) and everyone started booing. Moffat said definitely not--the blue box will always be the blue box.
picture: some random guy dressed as David Tennant
Unrelated, Among the Oak and Ash is having a concert in Brooklyn in May that I might go to. They also announced they are releasing a new album and put three new songs on their facebook page. I haven't had time to digest them yet, but so far they sound really good.


No comments: