Thursday, April 22, 2010

Author Event



We had an author event for work and it went fantastically. Both the author and the guest speaker did an amazing job and really engaged the audience, which must have been a hundred people or more. For some reason 90% of them were over the age of 60.

Before the show, we stepped into the green room to have a chat and were talking about this crazy volcano. Actress Zoe Caldwell, the guest speaker, said that it was funny how we can walk on the moon and fly to mars but one little volcano messes up everything across the world.

During the interview and Q&A, Zoe had great stories to tell, always having either a punch line or some profound piece of advice, and Mary drew on all she'd learned from the variety of Shakespearean actors she interviewed for her book. I think everyone walked away knowing they got more than they bargained for coming to this event.

A lot of the audience stayed to buy books and get signatures, which is good from the publisher's point of view but also because--and I've read a lot of it from when I wrote the press release--it really is a good book even if you're not an actor.

There are more photos of this event here.



Misc.
  • I'm reading a book on quantum mechanics and it's totally screwing with my perspective, but that's for another post.
  • I'm visiting Madison at the end of next week. Come say hi.
  • I got invited to write articles for some website for $3 an article, but I only have two days to write each one and I don't know ahead of time what the article will be on. We'll see how this pans out.
  • According to Simon Pegg, the dog that played Colin in SPACED has recently "gone next door." Aww. She was 13.


No comments: