Friday, April 17, 2009

New Red Dwarf

Kay. So I've just seen the new Red Dwarf (Back to Earth). Wow. After seeing the first episode, I groaned. I was thinking the writers had it all wrong. It was shallow. The CGI really bothered me (half of it is green screen) and the sets are painted too cleanly AND THERE'S NO SMEGGING LAUGH TRACK!

But, by the second episode, who cares about the laugh track because I was creating my own. Brilliant. Boy did they throw me for a loop. I'm not going to ruin it for you, but let me just say a couple things...

Metafiction
Riddle
Surprise actor/actress
Bladerunner

The writers were extremely aware of how the audience would act. There was one point where they said something, I laughed, and Rimmer said something like "if someone heard that, they'd only laugh." And there was something else I was thinking, "Boy, it would be perfect if they..." and then they DID it. Sweet.

The only disappointing thing other than lack of laugh track and too much green screen was a rather lack of Holly. Boo. But otherwise, thumbs up, guys.

(link)

No comments: