Friday, May 21, 2010

Among the Oak and Ash


I went to Southpaw's Americana Pie night, which is a bunch of Americana bands. It would have been cooler to go with my roommates, but it was still a fun time on my own. The first band was Daniel Wayne. I'd never heard of him before but he was really good.

Then was Among the Oak and Ash. This is the third time I've seen them in New York City and I was starting to wonder if it was going to be repetitive. Well here's a curveball for you. The band used to be Josh Joplin and Garrison Starr, but now it's Josh Joplin and Bailey Cooke. I had seen very tiny thumbnail photos of something recently from the band and I saw someone with long blond hair and thought "How could Garrison's hair grow so long so fast?" since I'd just seen the band in November. Surprise when I got to the venu. It's another singer. I was disappointed at first, but Bailey plays the banjo, and that was cool. A one-eighty from Garrison's electric guitar. And the real reason I went is because I'm a fan of Josh Joplin (see photo above).

The show rocked hard as always. The attire was very differently. Before, I've seen them wearing suits and ties, but this was much more casual. I knew about half the songs. It was good to hear some new ones in there. A lot of energy. I'll post some video in a New York montage at some point.

After the show, I bought a t-shirt and said hi to Josh. I asked him what happened to Garrison and he said she's moving back out to California, but she has a residency in August, which is cool.

Random thought: I remember him being...taller? This picture was taken in 2005.

Here's an interview and live footage with Josh and Garrison:

No comments: