Thursday, October 01, 2009

Among the Oak and Ash at Joe's Pub

I went to the Among the Oak and Ash show at Joe's Pub last night. I'd seen them play earlier this summer, but they weren't an opener this time, so they got to play more. They also seemed to own the stage more, chatting between songs. Garrison had people rolling in the aisles, so to speak. There was no actual rolling because this is a very "adult venue" as my co-worker put it. Older people sitting in chairs, eating dinner. A lot like World Cafe Live, which I liked, but I don't know how rock musicians like it. Can you bounce any energy off an audience that doesn't even nod their heads to the beat? To their credit, there was lots of clapping, some shouting, and a sing along or two. In some ways, I prefer the Bowery Ballroom, but I'm probably just cross that I had to stand in the back because I didn't reserve a dinner table. That's why my pictures are so blurry. Here's my best one:

I know I wrote it in my last review of them, but I'd forgotten how hard they rock live. Their album is a lot less rock and roll. They're amazing live. Here's an example from last night:







This was the first time I realized what a strange pair these two make. She's badass, tattooed, whiskey-drinking, foul-mouthed, wearing her electric guitar as low as it goes. He's kind of adorably nerdy with his suits and Buddy Hollyesque glasses, wearing his folk guitar up real high, and holding nothing back when it's time to dance his own brand of dancing. She also comes from a country music background and he from alternative and folk. Yet somehow, it works together. I didn't realize this until Garrison played Josh's guitar. She said, "it's so...not rock." Then it started cutting in and out, so they did that song unplugged because Joe's is the sort of place where people can be quiet. When they went to plug back in, they had each other's cords, and they got tangled. Josh said it was a metaphor for their lives. Garisson said "You don't fuckin know how true that shit is! It's Sanford and Son right here."


So, anyway. I got there at 5 after and the opener was on. Joe's Pub starts on time, people! Surprising! I was bummed about not having anywhere to stand or sit, not to mention the two drink minimum. At $5 for a ginger ale, I suspected they'd given me some fancy alcoholic drink instead. Thankfully, I figured out before my second drink that they had no way to track the minimum thing. After the opener, I moved to a different spot and got a pretty good view of the stage.


Among the Oak and Ash got on at 7:30. They started with a song I didn't know--either something new or a cover, though most of their songs are covers, being revamps of old folk songs. Then they played one of my favorites, Angel Gabriel. Garrison didn't have any water, so she asked the audience for some, and she recieved. Then someone gave her a whiskey. She said every song makes her want a drink, but there's a place for that. Josh said "Yeah, Hell." Garrison pointed out there are other things you can do to go to hell, and went on to talk about what it's like to be the only child, gay, and in a reglious family. She was inspired by one of the songs they sing that warns girls about "shady dudes," as she put it. This song led her to write a song, which she sang for us.


They played the songs from the album one would expect like Peggy-o and All the Pretty Little Horses, which Josh says is near the carosel at Central Park, but you can only find it if you're not looking for it, which is how he feels about everything in Central Park.


He also sang a song he wrote which starts with the lyrics "Among the Oak and Ash."

They played their tribute to the housewife, "Like you, Josh," as Garrison pointed out.

There was one point where Garrison got on a rant about how she's from Mississippi, and statistically speaking, Mississippi people are the fattest in the country. Josh said he was going to take away her NewsWeek subscription. He said something else that she misheard (as did I), and she thought he said that he has a subscription for hot dogs, which he aggreed he has that too.

In the end, they invited their opener on stage to sing with them. This was followed by an encore of "This Land is Your Land," which Josh says he wants to be the national anthem, and is in fact the national anthem except no one's told major league baseball yet.

I probably should have stayed to get my CD signed or something, but I wasn't sure if they were coming out, so I bought a t-shirt and left. It's kind of a weird cut, but it's got orange in it. I also got a free sticker for my guitar case and the poster that I had regretted not stealing off the wall at the last concert.

Tonight, I was supposed to go to the book launch, but the timing was off, and I was cold and tired. I have to go into work tomorrow anyway. Might as well take it easy tonight.

If you actually read this whole post, I'm pleasantly surprised. Leave me a message in comments.

Here's your reward. More pictures:
New York 2: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2157012&id=73405296&l=981968455c

Philadelphia: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2165854&id=73405296&l=ac8b506acb


1 comment:

Nicole said...

Jaime, I always read your whole entry. :)