Friday, October 23, 2009

In Defence of Lying



Since they started filming, I've been anticipating Ricky Gervais's first movie, The Invention of Lying. When it came out, I got pneumonia, so I didn't see it until today. I had to go into Manhattan because it's already run its course in most theatres.

From reviews and Ricky's blog, I already knew that a lot of Christians were getting riled up about the film because in this world without lying, there is also no religion, which presumes that religion started with lies. Although I was willing to give Gervais the benefit of the doubt, I did start to wonder "Oh no, has Ricky gone too far?"

After seeing the film, I can honestly say I don't think he crossed the line. It was gutsy, but the movie was written by a guy who doesn't believe in God, so surely his fictional world has no God either. That doesn't mean he's trying to sway you. The only thing I think people might be threatened by is that the parallelism btwn Mark (Gervais) with Jesus and Moses shows how easily a person in that situation could lie and how readily people would take it as truth. I know it's a scary thought, but is he really telling you something you didn't already know? It's not a direct attck on religion. It's supposed to be funny. Are you really threatened by a guy who has commandments written on pizza boxes?

I think I'm immune to feeling insulted or offended by people who have other religions because I've been exposed to it for a long time. I've been reading Douglas Adams since I was tiny (see my new review for And Another Thing) and I also read a lot of Terry Pratchett. My favorite comedians include Gervais and Robin Ince. I don't see why people are too close minded to look at artwork done by anyone who is not their religion.

I want you to see the review of The Invention of Lying by Karl Pilkington. It's hilarious because Karl obviously doesn't know what a movie review consists of. Karl was actually supposed to be a caveman in a scene that got left on the cutting room floor. There are lots of cameos in the movie. I actually didn't even recognize Ed Norton 'til he took off his sunglasses. But the one that was coolest was when Stephen Merchant showed up. I shouldn't have been surprised but I didn't remember reading about this in Ricky's blog. And who was in the scene with him? It's only "Barry from Eastenders." Brilliant. (Stephen and "Barry" are a great pair in Extras, which you can pirate off YouTube or do as I did and purchase it off iTunes.)





The movie wasn't terribly subtle, but it was funny and thoughtful. It was sweet. The Invention of Lying. Go see it.

I'm excited to see Ricky on November 4th at the Comedy Festival!

No comments: