Sunday, October 11, 2009

you're not going to believe this


Okay, this is going to take some explaining.

I'm sure this sort of thing happens to Newyorkers all the time, but for me it was so surreal (and I'm paying the price now).

I'll start with Friday. I had just recovered from what I suspect was pnemonia. It was a miraculous recovery. I was 100 percent on Friday when Thursday I was terrible. I got calls from ppl at work asking me to work the trade show Saturday. I wanted to go for A) the money and BY for fun, but I wasn't sure if I was up for it healthwise. After the second call, I agreed. I felt fine afterall.

The trade show was the audio engineers' convention. They had some fun toys I knew little about. I saw Lennon's girlfriend and one of authors is quite a big deal for working with MJ.

Anyway, one of our authors Dennis stops by and tells my coworker about how he's the sound designer for a play off broadway that's closing tonight. It's called An Evening Without Monty Python directed by Eric Idle, would he like to go? He couldn't b/c it's his birthdaym

Now, NY shows are too expensive for me but I was considering splurging on this one. So I asked, "Wait, is this the one with Alan Tudyk? It's closin already? I thought it just started in October!"

He said, "Yeah, I know. Do you want to go? I can put you on the list."

Heck yeah, I wanted to go! Alan Tudyk is one of my favorite actors. Plus, it's Eric Idle. Come on.

So I got to go to the show I would have spent money on for free. It was a good show, but the balcony was only half full. It was at the Town Hall Theatre, by the way.

It was a bunch of sketches from the tv show. As much as I love all the Python guys, Python itself is a little too low brow for me, so I haven't seen much. The 2 I recognised were the Dead Parrot and Silly Walks.

They also did stuff on accountants, spanish inquisition, traveller who doesn't stop talking and climbed over audience members, origin of japes, coal mining vs culture reversed, cross dressing judges, selling albatrose, army song, derogatory singer,

And so on.

After the show (1hr 20 min), I went and sais thanks to Dennis for the invite and he told Alan Tudyk that I wanted to meet him. I's said sort of as a joke could I meet him but it turned out to be possible.

I found him in the lobby taking a photo with some people. I shook his hand and introduced myself instantly forgetting whatever I had planned to say to him, leaving an awkard moment where he didn't know who I was. Then I said "You're my favorite actor. I just wanted to say hi."
Then he laughed and grabbed my arm and was like"Oh, hi! Great tie." I'd forgotten I'd put on a tie for the trade show, which was lucky b/c you're supposed to dress up to go to the theatre. I was in jeans, though.

I asked if I could get a photo with him. Since I didn't know I'd be going, I didn't have my camera, so I had to use my phone, which makes for a crappy camera, but it's actually better than I expected for that lens.

Dennis appeared behind my to take the photo and introduced me to Alan as his publisher. Alan was like "Oh,cool!" Which is awesome even if it is a bit of a stretch since I didn't actually work on his book.

I told Alan it was a great show, thanked Dennis again, and went home.

All is well, right?

Well, two miracles in one week must balance to disaster. I woke up this morning and had to call the doc because I could hardly breathe w/o pain. Now I'm stuck in bed for the week. Probably deserved that, but I can't regret it completely...just mostly. Ouch. But I've got some meds now. Cost me twice what I got paid for the trade show though.




My favorite Alan Tudyk moment...(from 28 Days)



Twitter news; Stephen of Boyzone has died, Channel Dave has commissioned scripts for yet another season of Red dwarf, and there's an amusing photo of David Hewlett with stickers all over his face. I have a weird assortment of Twitter feeds, I know.

No comments: