Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hello, New York

Three planes and 8 hours later...

Getting to New York wasn't too bad. Met some nice people on the planes--an older couple who thought I had a good sense of humor and a girl interning in chem/med here for the summer. Weirdly, though, the last flight was a bit odd. I kept getting dripped on from above. I narrowed it down to 5 possibilities: Something was leaking in the overhead bin, someone sneezed in the air filter, there was some kind of toxic preserving chemical up there, the plane had recently crashed and the air masks had not dried yet, or I was going crazy. Turned out it was condensation.

Oh, and an old lady got locked in the bathroom.

In the airports and on the planes, I read the first 157 pages of Karlology by Karl Pilkington. It's hilarious. You should check it out.

I got to the airport, got my luggage, and jumped in a van marked "Laguardia Airport Hotel" with two locals and two people from Marshfield, WI. I got to the hotel only to find that there are, in fact, LOTS of hotels called Laguardia Airport Hotel and I was at the wrong one. So the driver took me to the right one through busy post-game traffic in 75 degrees and me in three layers of clothing.

Finally got to the hotel and had to take a shower because I was sweaty. Then I realized I forgot to pack shower shoes. I hooked up my computer to the hotel wireless, but then remembered that I do not have an ethernet cable, which is what you need to access the internet in the dorms. At this rate, I may have well not brought luggage at all.

But that is a small concern. Now I'm just relaxing and waiting for Gina to arrive in New York. Hope she gets to the right hotel.

4 comments:

JMN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JMN said...

That-a-way Jaime. Make those little mishaps and annoyances into something to write about instead of upset about. That's what makes you great!

JKL said...

I was thinking about you on Sat. So glad you arrived safely albeit with a misstep or two. Can't wait to hear more.

LMN said...

Looking forward to hearing how things are going. Thanks for sharing!