Saturday, May 02, 2009

1. Final Bradbury Drawing

This is my fourth drawing for my 22-hour problem. It's based off a couple stories. The quote is from "A Sound of Thunder," describing what the time machine sounds like. The calendar back is from "The Sound of Summer Running" which says that when people lie out in the sun too long, their backs peel like calendars. I thought that was a powerful image and, since calendars measure time, I thought it went well with the bonfire. So, this piece is called "A Sound." It's an experiment in cutting and glueing pieces on. Almost everything in this picture is a separate piece stuck on later.

"A Sound" in progress


"A Sound" finished





2. Literacy and Lyrics Book Drive

We were worried it would rain, so we moved it to the gazebo, which doesn't get as much traffic, but we did get a fair amount of books donated (5 UPS boxes full). Plus all the musicians were great. It was a pain trying to haul the books around afterward, though.







3. English Dept. Social


You know we're a sporty school when even the English professors go all out on wiffle ball. We played on the baseball diamond. Oddly enough, I think 4th grade softball helped me out on this one because I knew the rules already. I batted 4 times, hit the ball 4 times, made it home 2 times, got tagged at third base once, had my fly ball caught once, and fell on my butt once. I'm pretty sure we won, but there is some disagreement, of course.

After loading out from Augustana, I was sore for a couple days, then had to carry books for L&L and was sore again, then went all out on wiffle ball and am sore again. I'm ready for summer.

I also got a certificate of appreciation during the awards part of the "program."

And my friends came up from Madison and came to this event! (see below)




4. Friends Visit

My friends from Madison came up to visit for four hours. That made me very happy. Thanks, guys!


No comments: