Saturday, November 20, 2010

Kate Nash

This is the second time I've seen Kate Nash in concert, the first time being maybe three years ago in Minneapolis, and boy was this performance different from that one. Now, she seems much more grown up and punk rock, but maintains that sweet politeness between her hardcore songs. I do wish she would introduce some of them, but she didn't do much talking.

The opener was Peggysue. I'm not really sure what genre they are. Sort of folk, but from the UK, and not like the folk I listen to with harmonica and stuff. It was accordion-washboard-tamborine folk. But they weren't bad.

It was definitely more of a punk rock show than I think a lot of people were expecting. If this was the punk crowd, they'd be jumping around, moshing. But instead, it was a lot of young people (like REALLY young) just standing there, not even nodding their heads. I was standing next to this one girl my age and we're like "Wow, we feel old." There were kids in the audience, like fourteen-year-olds. It was strange because I thought they served alcohol in this venue.

Anyway, she played all my favorite songs: Mariella, Skeleton, Birds, and the new ones of her recent album as well. They had quite a light show going on here, much bigger production than in Minneapolis. But same as then, she did about half the songs on guitar, half on keys, and a little just jumping around with the mic. Can I saw how amazingly funny it was in Foundations because everyone is singing along, but that means you've got a crowd of New Jerseyers singing in British British accents. Hilarious. I think the best performance was Merry Happy, I suppose because the rest of the show was so punk. What I like about her is that she'll do sweet and then punk all in the same song, but Mariella and Skeleton rocked pretty hard live. It's good to have Merry Happy and Birds to tone it down a little.

It was a good show though. She went about 1:45, not including the opener. We were the last stop on her tour. She likes the vegetarian restaurant we have in Montclair. In the end, she threw drumsticks and some kind of booklets into the audience. One nearly landed on my head and everybody dove on me to get it. I just wanted to get out of the way!
This is my video, so you should watch it. It's only 2 and a half minutes long:


No comments: