Monday, November 22, 2010

Dirk Gently - the movie (well, TV movie)

Oh my God, I've been waiting ten years for this.

Stephen Magnan as Dirk Gently, Darren Boyd as Richard MacDuff, and Helen Baxendale as Susan Way. Okay, I don't know any of these actors, but that's okay. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams is my favorite book, in my opinion even better than The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Although there is a radio adaptation and even a stage drama, there hasn't been a movie or TV version yet. Now, thanks to the BBC, there will be. Well, there will be a pilot anyway, on BBC 4, but if it does well, they will make more episodes. And since the book's not very episodic, the plot is said to be "inspired" by the book rather than a direct adaptation. We shall see.
It sort of fits to do this now, since detective shows are SUPER popular, on the BBC too. I mean, even sci-fi and detective shows are in, like Torchwood and Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. Though Dirk Gently definitely came first.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Maybe they'll even find the other half of cat!