Sunday, August 15, 2010

My first Broadway play

Stanley Tucci's taller than me. What gives?



I got a 50% off coupon to see Lend Me a Tenor from a co-worker. It was still expensive, but I knew it must be a sign because I wanted to see this show since it first came out. Our high school did it, so I know the story's funny. Also it stars Tony Shalhoub and Justin Bartha! I'm really glad I went. It was the funniest show I've ever seen. The biggest applause came when Shalhoub backward kicks a chair and it slides across the stage and right into its spot under the desk. Shalhoub goes "You're too kind." And he gets a bigger applause. So he finally glances back to see where the chair landed and then turns back to us and goes "I know." A riot of a show. So much talent. This was Justin Bartha's first show and he carried it so well, from weasely sounding Max to Italian opera singer impersonator. Bravo all!

After the show, I went to the stage door. There were already a bunch of people there, so I wasn't very close and therefore completely missed getting an autograph or picture with Justin Bartha. How devestating! But then it started raining and the crowd thinned a bit. The other actors came out and I got some autographs from them.

.

Then to everyone's shock, Stanley Tucci comes out and starts signing autographs! How amazing is that?

We had to wait an hour after the show before Tony Shalhoub came out. Real nice guy, but I could tell he was tired, and I think his voice needs a rest, so I didn't try to get a photo with him like everyone else. I got his autograph though!









Top: Anthony LaPaglia
Left: Brooke Adams
Right in purple: Stanley Tucci
Bottom: Mary Catherine Garrison

Tony was smart enough to sign inside the playbill because it was raining.









Who is this person in this picture. Squint real hard. Can you tell?

It's only Eddie Izzard. Not kidding. He brushed past me on his way out and hardly anyone reacted! Very strange.



More pictures on my FACEBOOK ALBUM


.

2 comments:

Dad said...

You got Mr & Mrs Shalhoub's autographs! Way cool!
And I suspect Eddy Izzard looks like that in real life.

Unknown said...

I got to see the show twice and the first night Tony got the chair in place. Big applause of course and then the next evening, it didn't quite make it. Darn. We wanted to clap and when he blows through the fourth wall, the audience isn't quite sure if it's supposed to applause or react or what. Tony had to tip us off about the chair the first night. He said "Thank you very much!!!" so then we applauded.
I met Tony the afternoon before the second show my friend and I attended and that night he was scanning the audience. Our seats were right up front and he saw us and just smiled at us for the a long beat and then kept going. I used to do theater and I loved watching it too. Seeing Tenor made me miss it terribly. Just the watching part though!

Tony is really kind. He takes the time to talk and listen to his fans. Not a celebrity bone in his body.