Saturday, September 19, 2009

Book Launch

Last night, I attended a book launch party for Breyten Breytenbach's "Intimate Stranger," which is a book on writing. I don't mean one of those craft books that I read for technique advice. It's a poetic meditation on why people write, who are writers, and what the relationship is between writer and reader. It's a very pretty piece of work. Things like how poetry is the phonebooth of our ancestors and things like that.

The party was nice. Maybe thirty-some people showed up. Quite suave. Wine and cheese and all that. Mr. Breytenbach talked a little about the work and read some poems from it. I chatted a bit to some people about books and the industry and New York. It was a nice little time. Getting home on the subway was somewhat less nice as I stood on the platform for nearly half an hour waiting for that blasted A train.

What else is new?

I've been doing some writing and reading (Pilo Family Circus, which is a new favorite). Some people from Bleak House may be moving out here next month. I'm in the library because the cable's out again, but what luck--they have a copy of Terry Pratchett's Nation this time.

Next weekend: exploring Philly with Melissa!

No comments: