Saturday, July 10, 2010

NADWCON 2011

NADWCON 2011
July 8-11, 2011

I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld book series. I'm making it a goal to read every book. Not only is it brilliant, insightful satire and hilarious, but there's also a sentimental element to me because I had a friend in college who died of cancer and one of the first things we bonded over was the Discworld series because he had read every book and I was only just getting into them.

Last year, they held the first ever Discworld convention in North America. I really wanted to go, but it was in Arizona. This year, they are holding another one, but this time in Madison, Wisconsin. Yes, a little irony there: when I lived in Wisconsin, it was in Arizona, and when I move to Jersey, it's in Wisconsin. But I figure it's a good chance to visit family as well--two birds, one stone, you get it.

And, unlike the Arizona one, guess who is also attending the convention, health permitting? That's right--Terry Pratchett. And suppossedly--again health permitting--he's going to be just hanging around chatting with fans, not hiding in a hotel room until it's his turn to go on stage. That's very exciting.

Now, I don't know where I'll be a year from now, but hopefully I won't blow all my sick/vacation time by next summer. And even if I can't go, it doesn't hurt to buy a ticket now because they do allow you to transfer it to someone else if you can't make it, and there will be plenty of people trying to go to this thing because they're putting a cap on at 1,000 people.

No comments: