Sunday, July 25, 2010

Doctor Who Season Finale

I had high expectations for this season of Doctor Who since the writer of the season was the writer of all the best episodes while Davies was in charge. I kept waiting for an ultimately awesome episode. And while most episodes were pretty good, a lot feel short of my expectations. But looking back on it, it was actually a pretty good season. Really can't complain about the new doctor or companions.

Last night, on BBC America, was the season 5 finale. I think this was the ultimate episode I was waiting for. The Doctor saves the universe (once again) but in ultimate sacrifice, and his companion in turn saves him. There's a lot of messing about with time, which is cool. Also, we get to see things from previous episodes in the season that didn't make sense in a new light. It all comes together--there were clues all along.

I remember that when I went to see the premier in New York, Matt Smith was there and he told the audience to petition the BBC so that they would let the doctor have a hat next season. There's a part in this episode that I can only imagine is Stephen Moffat getting back at Matt Smith for all those letters he received. The Doctor picks up a fez he finds ... oh nevermind, you can watch it yourself below. Poor Matt may never get his hat.



I absolutely love that the TARDIS is something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. I didn't catch it when the Doctor was telling his story, but when Rory said "Like the old wedding saying," I started laughing. Was the entire season (the whole leaving on the eve of Amy's wedding thing) a set up for that?

You know, at the part where you realize that their situation was similar to Amy's memories, I wouldn't have written it that their situation was fabricated based on Amy's memories. No--I would have made Amy or Amy's memories or part of Amy's existance the thing that was fake because at that point the Doctor has already pointed out that nothing in Amy's life made sense. But anyway.

I also liked that they brought back the Nestine Consciousness (spelling?) from the first episode of the first season. It's all full circle. But looks like we'll have the same doc and companions back for next season. Can't wait to see where they take us, especially since they still haven't answered the question as to why the TARDIS exploded in the first place.


No comments: