Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Irish Christmas

Irish Christmas in America was my most recent event. I've enjoyed all of my events, but I think I liked this one best so far. It certainly had the biggest turn-out! Over 400 people packed in on a snowy night to see the Irish band Teada and vocalist Karan Casey. There were a few hiccups to begin with, but I got them smoothed over before the band or Irishfest showed up (we co-sponsored with Irishfest La Crosse).

The band was really cool. I didn't get to talk with the two women because they didn't come upstairs for dinner, but they guys were really nice. And talented. The show was amazing. Most people stuck around for part two, which is saying something because intermissions tend to cause people to leave early. A lot of people bought cds too.

The show itself was a concert of Irish Christmas music. We had Christmas trees up on stage to set the mood, as the stage plot requested. Brian did some Irish dancing--like the dancing where you mostly just move from the waist down. He danced with a broom too. And Tristan told stories to give some context. He told us about the traditions of "women's Christmas" in January and about killing wrens for tradition. Definitely traditions I've never heard of, so I learned a lot! Everyone was really impressed with Karan Casey's singing.

At the end, the band hung around to sign autographs for everyone and to take a picture with CAB (see above).

No comments: