Thursday, May 29, 2008

WisCon


WisCon is a feminist sci-fi/fantasy writing conference held in Madison, WI every year. This year was my first time there. There are 1,000 people allowed in for four days of panels, readings, free food, workshops, bookstores, auctions, and more.


At WisCon, I had my first chapter of Riff critiqued by four other writers including Theodora Goss. See this entry to learn what they said.


The only person I knew going in to WisCon was Juliette, but when I left, I knew a few more people, splendid people. It's great to hang out with other writers and talk shop. And because of them, I joined Live Journal. No offence Blogger.com, but the comments button doesn't always work and there isn't such a sense of community that I need from other writers. This blog will still be updated with random creative things that I do as usual, but if you want a play-by-play insight to what's going on with my writing, then check out Live Journal for details.



These are the panels I attended at WisCon:


Grammer and Punctuation

Using Classic Myths in Modern Fantasy

Defining God

How I Did Everything Wrong and Got Published Anyway

Urban Fantasy

Terry Pratchett

Torchwood

Martha Jones

Magic Book Machine (publishing)

Publishing: Meritocracy or Social Construct?



5% of the people who attended WisCon came down with the stomache flu. I was fortunate not to be one of them. I hope everyone got home okay.

This is a scene from Riff that I made last night.


No comments: